Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sludge in skim port

Options
rcrit
rcrit Member Posts: 74
I got a new boiler installed last year, a Slantfin Intrepid. I did a little bit of skimming but I know I didn't get it all (for some reason the wife objected to my having the heat off for hours).

I noticed one of my vents gurgling yesterday and found it full of water so figured it was time to do some more skimming. When I pulled the cap off my skim port I noticed quite a bit of sludge in the pipe. I scraped out as much as I could get and proceeded to skim for an hour or so. I'm going to try to keep this pace up for a while but with projected temps tonight in the 20's I'm not hopeful.

So anyway, I can understand sludge at my cleanout, but so high up in the boiler? Is this unexpected? Is there anything I should check?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    crud in the skim port

You may be getting the stuff that was brought down by last seasons steaming. It may take a few sessions to get past the goop and onto just an oily film on the water.

I just had a boiler installed about a month ago and I've been doing a couple of hours worth of skimming about once a week for the last three weeks 2 or 3 gallons each time, I skim cold for the first gallon and then fire up the boiler to about 180 and just let it slowly trickle out. For the first two sessions I pulled out some nasty black goop in the first quart and then just water with some oil on it but this last skim on Monday was just the water with traces of oil. I know I've got to do it a few more times but the water in the sight glass looks fine - for now.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    I always get it there too.

It's the stuff that floats to the top when the water is boiling. It's the reason I pull my pressure relief valve and clean out the nipple every year. You might want to check yours next time we get a warm day.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.