Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing an inverter for a simple one-pipe steam system

Jim Murphy
Jim Murphy Member Posts: 15
Hello Steamheads,

Posted here because I thought the response would apply to to more than just steam systems. Getting very cold here in Jersey - day 8 with no power and at least 3 more days expected.

I'd like to hook up an inverter to the boiler and get her running before the wife bugs out on me.

The boiler is a Utica PEG-C steamer, 24Volt Electronic Ignition and Low-Water cutoff. Simple one-pipe gravity return steam system. Electronic Damper is inoperative even with power, but is open.

Can't find how much amperage the unit draws so that I can figure out wattage to size the inverter.

Can anyone help me? For any who have done this, any other considerations on the battery side that I should think about.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Jim

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    borrow a 1kW or larger inverter

From a friend - should be more than enough output capacity but you still need to test:  Does everything work OK on the inverter waveform?

Assuming everything runs OK, measure the draw using a clamp-on ammeter at startup, while steaming, and after shutdown while idling.
  • Jim Murphy
    Jim Murphy Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    Thanks

Ended up getting through to Utica. Couldn't give me exact current draw, but indicated that with such a simple package, it couldn't draw over 2 amps at 24.5Volts, so 49 Watts. Bought a cheap 100W cigarette lighter inverter, wired her in in 15 minutes, in the dark with a flashlight, and she fired. Warm a few hours later - we joyously watched the thermostat rise!

Such a small inverter can only handle a small load, but with the Nor'easter bearing down, we needed heat!

My only concern was drawing down the battery, so I left the car at idle, didn't care about the gas. Fortunately it didn't use much.

Of course the power came on at 1am... Wish I had done the inverter days ago.

This was so easy that I'm surprised that this it is not more common knowledge.
  • jim_14
    jim_14 Member Posts: 271
    sounds close to my system

simple 1 pipe steam with damper, LWCO, flame roll out switch, gas fired.. The only thing different I have is a taco circulator pump for the hot water baseboard tapped off the boiler...

Luckily I had power restored in 2 days so it never became an issue, but to sit in a cold house and freeze when all you needed was a cheap inverter, what a kick in the butt!

Best of luck to you
This discussion has been closed.