Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hanging ductless condenser on wall

Normally I keep my condenser 1 foot or more from a wall. But I have noticed many wall hung units just 4 inches away. I have a job where mounting them close would be advantages. Any Ideas or suggestions here?

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    wall mouting installs

I have installed a few using the wall mounting kit and on short lines sets you may end up with a harmonic vibration espically on residental wood frame homes but on commerical w concrete wall we had no issue just thought i would give you a heads up on it to help you maybe avoid a issue I have never had a vibration issue when just setting them on a pad though  peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Check the install manual

For your manuf clearances. I use the wall brackets and try to get as far off the wall as possible. My unit(s) could be mounted 4" from the wall. Also, check for minimum line set requirements. The resonance Clammy is referring to may be the compressor tearing itself up.
  • clammy
    read the instructions

Not to start anything but the mitz that i spoke about with the harmonic vibration is not the compressor tearing itself up other wise it would still not be working perfectly being it has been in for about 2.5 years  this is a heat pump unit and it has this vibration weather it is in heat or cooling mode ,The wall it is attached to is only wood fame and basicilly was a former chicken coop(from late 1800 on histroric revolutionary sitre) turned into a labatory with some real crappy framing but there wsa no choice of placement except wear we had put it .The line set is also at the miniun that mitz states which i believe is about 12 ft .The vibration is extremely small and has been unnoticable by the workers ,owner and my partern who did not notice until i pointed it out and still my buddy had to really sit close to even notice it .On a  side note this unit serves a lab that has a mass spectrim alyz and other big buck test equiptment including ovens and hi temp  heaters for testing .The mounting info i had given was just a heads up to help some one maybe prevent them from doing a job twice but only get paid once peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Didn't mean to accuse, Clammy

With Fujitsu when the inverter units first came out we were told that "to short" a line set could cause harmonics. A year or so later, in conversation with a factory engineer, I asked what caused the harmonics. He said it could be the compressor wearing prematurely. Fujitsu does have minimum line set recommendations . Not sure on Mitsubishi and others. No offense meant!
  • clammy
    none taken

None taken ,the one that did have an issue was the only one yet so far but i only have  installed  mitzs invertors as of the last few years  and i have stayed away from the other players , it has been at least 20 years since i have installed a different brand .I have work on a few by others and mostly the promblem with them where inproper installation like no pressure testing ,vacume and the rest of the issues that come from the fly by nite low ballers but that comes with the cheapen price .I really don.t install many of them being if you want the whole job to look professinal (hide a lines)and not like a eyesore it costs plus when your looking at doing 3 or 4  second floor bed rooms and all those line set running on the exterior of the home it's some times easier and cheaper to just do a nice central system .Peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2012
    Hanging

Two things.The min line set lenght is to allow the metering device some room to work ,to even out the freon flow before it gets back to the comp.And the outdoor unit being so close to the wall causes the hot discharge air to be sucked right back into the air inlet side raising the hi side press.And a third thing, it makes it a little tougher to wash the cond coil for those who do wash the cond coil.
  • Holmes
    Holmes Member Posts: 7
    Choose wall-mounted

Hello Friends,

If you have one or more rooms without exterior walls or windows, a wall-mounted ductless split system will work beautifully. The indoor air handler is sleek, unobtrusive and quiet.

Thanks and Regards,

Steve Holmes
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Appreciate your input Holmes

but  we are talking about hanging the condenser unit on an outside wall instead of setting it on the ground.  A lot of good points being made here, I appreciate all the comments.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.