Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Prognosis for saltwater submerged boiler?

Options
Jells
Jells Member Posts: 566
Not mine, (thank God we didn't get another foot of surge) but my congregation's in Hoboken. Can the controls be replaced or is it not worth it and the unit totaled? should we be hosing it down with fresh water? Damn thing is only a year old.

I imagine every heating guy in NJ is working 18 hr days right now.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler

Water damage = replacement. Too many safety risks involved in parts swapping and cleaning.
  • Jells
    Jells Member Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks Joe

Are you crazy busy with this kind of stuff? I think they're happy with their current heat guy, but given the situation, he may not be available.  Also, I told friends we had for dinner last night  all about oil to gas conversion and they're very interested.
  • JStar
    Options
    Work

We've been busy but not crazy yet. I think once all power is restored and people start their systems again, we'll be pushed into crazy mode. The local utilities, like PSEG, however, have been crazy. My father has been working 16 hour shifts.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Boiler sunk

The problem with salt water is the chlorine in the salt which can continue to attack the metal, long after it was thought to have been washed off.

If this is a big boiler, with a big price tag, then the metal enclosure could be taken off, and the sections thoroughly scrubbed of salt. The insulation in the panels could be replaced with new fiberglass, and everything put back with new controls, and gas train. the labor cost could be prohibitive.

If this is covered by insurance, then there is justification for making a claim for a new boiler, as a result.

Post some pictures of the boiler, and it's piping, and we can advise if it is worth keeping, or whether some changes should be made. Has it worked well up to now. ( no banging during the sermon?)--NBC
  • Tim_64
    Tim_64 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Not the end of the world

I took all the controls off my Weil-Mclain SGO-4 boiler prior to Sandy...

The boiler was at one point totally submerged,,,,

I have ordered new insulation and  a new refractory kit...

I took some time and rinsed the boiler etc....

.... I  re-installed the controls,

Viola  it is making steam as I type....

A 600# lump of cast iron will not be damaged from a few  hour or day submersion in salt water..

The controls may/will be need to be replaced

The answer depends on your comfort level with contractors or your skill set
  • JStar
    Options
    Boiler

If you do all of the work yourself, it MAY be worth it. To pay a qualified contractor, adding to the cost, it's usually more economical to replace the entire system. Plus, if your insurance, or FEMA, covers the cost, why take a chance? I will never recommend simply fixing a flooded appliance unless a customer signs an incredibly specific contract assuming all liability from that point forward. Even then...not worth it. Somebody being hurt or killed would still be my fault. I'm the professional. I should know better.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    A sad comentary

on the state of our "modern" industrial economy IMO.
This discussion has been closed.