Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

multitude of questions on my system

Options
I recently just bought a forclosed house and like most people, I knew hardly anything about steam heat. I used to have it when I was a kid but my dad assured me that the banging noises were just air and that it was fine. Anyways, I've done some reading and have found out my system seems to have a few weird quirks about it. I have a 1300 sq ft home built in 1913 with a one pipe system, newer utica boiler in the basement, radiators in the top floor, and convection radiators in the downstairs.

1) My main line doesn't have any air vents.

2) I think this is directly related to #1... my system seems to be at or near 5psi, even when off, and because of that my pressuretrol needs to be set to 5psi or else the boiler wont kick on.

3) I also don't have a wet return line coming off of the main line. There are some retro fitted copper pipes under the header which as far as I can tell are dumping the rest of the water back into the boiler and probably at the same time sucking some water into the system to create the water hammer because over time the boiler over fills itself and the water hammer gets more noticeable.

What are my options on all of this?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.