Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Repair Sucess!

Options
H3809
H3809 Member Posts: 19
I'm new to the steam heat world, and stumbled across this website, picked up Dan's book "We got steam heat!" and I'll be ordering more books soon.    I have a one pipe steam system, and thanks to the book and here I have already found a slew of problems...bad vents (main and radiator) copper pipes in the middle of iron pipe runs, no hangers in the basement or insulation for that matter..no pitch to any radiators, leaky pack nuts, and a cracked beautiful radiator. (I'll post a picture later, its tall on the ends, short in the middle, looks like it was used as a bench) 

I wanted to share a success story of repair, I read it in we got steam heat and on-line as well.  I picked up JB Weld Steel Stik.  Its worked great! (so far)  Much better than dealing with the tubes of two compounds.  Just kneaded it together and worked it into the crack and surface (with proper prep-work of course)  It dries metallic color and stayed mailable so i could indent lines to match up with the detail work on the radiator.

I'm really pumped to have steam heat now, and learning all about its kinda addicting... 

Thanks for the help do far this site has been while I've been lurking, I'm sure I'll have questions down the road, and good luck if you try to repair your radiator!

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Congratulations

hopefully you have saved that great old radiator from the scrap pile.  We really want to see a picture of it.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Sounds like a window radiator.

See the radiator on page 43 of this catalog. It probably doesn't look just like it, but the idea was to sort of wrap the radiator around the window.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    That's exactly

how I pictured it too.
  • H3809
    Options
    Yes!

That is it exactly! (it might even be the same manufacturer)  I'm sorry it took so long to get back I've been having some log on issues.  I took some pictures and will post them tonight.
  • H3809
    Options
    pics

1 project done...1 million to go
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    beautiful!

People will surely ask why it's shaped that way.  You could tell them the truth -- or just call it the "Hot Seat."
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Some days

I could see myself curled up on that thing with a good book. :-)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.