Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Amazing stuff in my crawl space

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
I wanted to share this and I don't think I started a thread about it in the past.  If I did I apologize, my memory isn't what it once was.

When we bought this house in April of 2011 it had many problems as I'm sure many if you remember.  From a rotted boiler to a undersized clogged chimney and many other things.

After being through all of this, fun,  this house still amazes me.  In one of my crawl spaces where I barely fit and never have been in until today there are two steam pipes.  One of them had a hole in it which we had the seller pay someone to replace.  After it was replaced I didn't find out it had another problem until many months later when I installed the new boiler.

The pipe, was pitched wrong and held water so someone drilled an 1/8" hole into it to let the water drain out.  Take the hole away and hey, the radiator doesn't work?  What I couldn't figure out is why did my upstairs bathroom radiator work fine, when its pipe runs right along side of the other one?  Well I found out today soneone had notched the joists so the pipe could be pitched more.  So, we notch joists for one but not the other which is only a foot away, and then some other genius drills a hole on it to let the water out.

Now I thought I would just notch the joists a little more and fix the problem on the other pipe but no, someone put a 3" PVC sewer line above it which was resting on it until I stuffed some insulation between them.  So now I think my only option to truely make it work properly is to spin the 90 degree elbow off on the end, install a tee and run a drain seperately.

And there is my story.   The pipe actually seems to function ok 99% of the time except as i mentioned in my other thread when I got some hammering in it, maybe due to lack of insulation and a cold crawl space as another member had mentioned.

Sorry for complaining, but maybe this will help others troubleshoot problems which don't make sense.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Pipes

Love it!

If it don't drain...drill a hole in it.

I've seen this a lot, actually. Although, around here, people put a valve in the hole and instruct the homeowner not to call for service, but to drain the valve if th steam doesn't work. See? We're so courteous.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Drilled a hole in it

Is that what killed the other boiler?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    Killed the other boiler

Crash, remember the other boiler technically died twice as it had the block changed when it was only 3 years old.

I've got a feeling that 1/8" hole combined with all of the other leaks is exactly what killed the other boiler, twice.

From what i recall and the little time I saw it operate, the autofill added water almost every time the boiler ran for heat.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.