Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viesmann Riello Burner Purge Cycle

TimC
TimC Member Posts: 4
I have a Viesmann Vitola Biferral BEA-18 purchased in 1990 with a Riello Mectron M3 oil burner and a E/KR-120 (Viesmann) controller.

This unit has been fantastic all these years and still looks new.  Normally, the burner goes into a 10 to 15 second purge cycle, and then ignites.  Lately, the burner is skipping the pre-purge cycle and the burner ignites immediately.  It runs fine but I'd like to replace whatever it needs.  Any expert opinions?

Comments

• No purge

Can you think of any changes to the system, such as a new thermostat?--NBC
  • TimC
    None

No changes whatsoever...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    only 2 causes I have found

One would be in the stem or ball for the cut off in the pump, other could be the control.  I would have a tech check it out. I still have one of the first BEA-46 units out there. 
  • TimC

What is the stem or ball in the pump?  Is that a pump replacement issue or a separate part.  I'm thinking it is the controller.  I talked with  a friend today  who is a plumber and he said that Riello is a good company to call and they will talk to you.  I bought my Viesmann from the guys on This Old House back in the late 80's and early 90's when I saw them install one...I was in the process of building my own home at the time and no one had heard of the brand at the time.  I've installed 5 of them over the years in friends homes...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    simple test

remove the coil from the stem and put a metal screw driver in it. Start the burner. If it fires with that off, replace the pump, if not, replace the control. No repairing either of them 
  • TimC
    edited November 2012
    If It Is The Pump...

If it is the pump that is bad, why would there be ignition (spark) immediately as well.  Doesn't this point to the controller?  I can see a bad pump spraying immediately but normal ignition does not start for 10 to 15 seconds...just thinking...
This discussion has been closed.