Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How Exactly do TRV's Save on Heating Bills?

Options
Med618
Med618 Member Posts: 15
I get what TRV's are for and how they work. They prevent radiators from overheating. My question is, does it save money and how? In my multifamily building, why do I care if a tenant opens the window if the boiler is going to continue to fire anyway?

I'm wondering how savings are to be achieved by installing TRV's in our building. Assuming that the TRV reaches a certain temperature set point and prevents any further steam from entering the radiator, what happens next? What happens with the steam that doesn't enter the radiator? Does it create additional pressure in the system which then signals the pressuretrol to stop the burner cycle?

Comments

• Bill_17
    Bill_17 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    TRVs and Enegy Savings

In simple terms,TRVs do save energy by essentially turning off radiators where additional heat is not required or by reducing output when and where the requirements are low.  They work in slightly different ways on 1 and 2 pipe systems, but as system pressure builds the burner will be turned off by the presstrol and you will save fuel.  Consider them "dynamic system balancing valves", simple thngs like the sun moving around the building changes the need for heat from east to west, etc.  TRVs allow outdoor reset controls, averaging controls or even master thermostats to work more effectively because tenants open windows is because the system is firing to satisfy the coldest of zones or rooms.  So why heat up all the radiators when only a small number of rooms may be cool or cold. 
  • Bill_17
    Bill_17 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    TRVs and Enegy Savings

In simple terms,TRVs do save energy by essentially turning off radiators where additional heat is not required or by reducing output when and where the requirements are low.  They work in slightly different ways on 1 and 2 pipe systems, but as system pressure builds the burner will be turned off by the presstrol and you will save fuel.  Consider them "dynamic system balancing valves", simple thngs like the sun moving around the building changes the need for heat from east to west, etc.  TRVs allow outdoor reset controls, averaging controls or even master thermostats to work more effectively because tenants open windows is because the system is firing to satisfy the coldest of zones or rooms.  So why heat up all the radiators when only a small number of rooms may be cool or cold. 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    trv's

as trv's are a bit expensive, you may wish to reserve their use on those radiators which overheat.

first get your system balanced, and thoroughly well main-vented, with the pressure as low as possible, [sometimes two ounces!]. you may find everything is more even after that, and you may only need one trv. don't use it in a room where you may open the window for fresh air!--nbc
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    1 or 2

here and there are not going to save you much.  As NBC said, invest your $$ towards balancing and venting.  Later on if you have one radiator that refuses to come into balance with the rest, TRV it.
This discussion has been closed.