Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Hot water Heater safe to operate? storm related

Steve_95
Steve_95 Member Posts: 27
My daughter casually mentioned to me that although her home heating sys. (gas/steam) is of course not working in this power outage, her hot water (also gas) is working and making hot water. I know some gas hot water appliance wlll function (because of thermacouple?)

with out electricity but I'm concerned with venting.

I don't know if she has any sort of power venting but I'm concerned.

Without having any other info would any of you pros be able to make any safe assumptions? Such as due to a safety a power vent will prevent the hot water appliance from operating, automatically. Or, based on "common sense,since she lost power Monday night and it is now Thursday, it must be fine.

I obviously don't want to make any assumptions concerning the well being of my child and grandchildren. I will be going there after work to check (I'm 40 miles away) , but I don't really know too much about what to look for and I'd rather know now.

I would call her but the phones are down and cell service is spotty. Is this situation possibly/probably dangerous or am I confused due to my lack of understanding?

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    water heater safety

As long as the water heater was not flooded, there should be no problem. If she has city supplied water and a natural draft water heater she is one of the lucky ones. That's one of the nice things about a thermopyle gas appliance, no power required.

Rob
  • Steve_95
    thanks for the reply

she is on LI, NY and I don't know if it's a natural draft. What I was trying to ask (not doing a good job) is this: Is it possible to have or need a power vent which is inoperable due to the power outage and still have the hot water heater fire.

I guess I'm looking for some time of safety that would not allow the thermocouple assisted firing if the power vent is de-energized.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Power vented water heaters:

Power vented water heaters need power to run the fan. No power, no fan, it won't run because they always have electronic ignition. Therefore, no power, no run.

They have "power assisted" add on fans. If you need one, it will need electricity but i can't imagine how you would interlock it with a standing pilot.

If your daughter has no heat but she does have hot potable water, she doesn't need electricity to make it.
  • Steve_95
    thank you

Thanks Mr Ice. Just wanted to make sure there was no danger.
This discussion has been closed.