Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Two controls - both honeywell, Confused on settings

Options
ALIGA
ALIGA Member Posts: 194
I have two controls on a weil mclain steam boiler. I adjusted the cutin on the grey control to .5psi and the cutout dial to 1.

Do I have to adjust anything on the left pressuretrol control, if so what should the setting be?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    It would appear so.

Since the gauge reads 3 psi, and you've set the grey p'trol to cut out @ 1.5 psi, then the left p'trol must be in control, but this would not be a good use of the dual controls, because it implies that they are wired in parallel. If they're wired in series, the burner will cut out if either control cuts out, so you can set one to .5-1.5 for normal operation and use the other as a safety by setting it to cut out at 3 psi in case the first one fails.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • ALIGA
    Options
    pressuretrol

the 30 psi gauge is stuck at 3, I ordered low pressure gauge, and will report back once that is installed.

i will look into the wiring. I am assuming it should be wired in series?
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Can you get

the model number for the one on the left?  Looks like it might be the manual reset type. 

If it is the manual reset model, The way it works is the PA404 allows pressure up to say 3 psi, then it shuts off the burner, when the pressure drops it turns on the burner again.  Lets just say that the PA404 malfunctions and it is unable to shut the boiler down at 3 psi.  The pressure will rise to say 8 psi, then the second pressuretrol shuts down the boiler.  If it is a manual reset the building owner is forced to call for a tech to come down and find out why this boiler got to 8 psi.  The next safety feature is the pressure release valve.  If the PA404 fails at 3 psi, and the manual reset fails at 8 psi, and the pressure continues to rise the pressure relief valve blows at 15 psi.

And by the way, those pressure controllers should be on separate pigtails. 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    manual reset pressuretrol

that setup is like mine. when the pressure rises above the setpoint [3 psi in my case], the button pops out stopping the burner until the button is pushed, resetting the control. the other one is regulating the regular pressure.

from the picture, it looks like your pressure is much too high, [under 1.5 psi needed for basic funcrion, much less for economy].--nbc
  • ALIGA
    Options
    thanks for the insight

the pressure gauge is showing 3 psi on and off. i will remove the gauge once the wika low pressure gauge comes in, and i will also blow out the pig tail.

this steam stuff is like a drug habit, trying to make it work efficiently,
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Unfortunate code requirements

Put the new gauge on the same pigtail with a tee. It has to remain, although as I have said it is completely useless for diagnostics.

Actually I feel the regular pressuretrol is also useless, as it cannot regulate the system down at the point where you are saving money on fuel, and also having a more gentle heat.--NBC
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Have to agree with your last statement.

At least mine is pretty useless since I've improved main venting. I have yet to see it cut out.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.