Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

interior rust and chunks in hot water radiator

ivanator2
ivanator2 Member Posts: 39
One of the radiators I bought from a salvage place has flakes of rusted bits anywhere from the size of a dime to a little larger than a quarter inside. I haven't hooked it up yet.

I'm wondering if that would be considered normal, or should be a sign the radiator is nearing the end of it's life.

Comments

• Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    not uncommon

What you have described is not uncommon, especially if the radiator was stored outside. I strongly recommend you flush it out and pressure test it before you install it in your home.

I remember you from last fall - the big Victorian with that couldn't get warm. Looks like you survived last winter, what is the plan for this one?
  • ivanator2
    ivanator2 Member Posts: 39
    It pressure test ok at 30 PSI

I'm in the process of adding around 85,000 BTU's of radiators to the first floor. This will run on a separate zone with a first floor thermostat. I have three hooked up and running so far, but was concerned about this one. It looks to me like there are chunks just sitting on the bottom.

Not sure what I posted toward the end last Winter. The contractor eventually replaced the 110,000 BTU boiler with a 170,000 BTU boiler.

There is one circulating pump and two zone valves. The circulating pump was installed on the return side. I don't know if there should be two separate pumps.

I will try and strike some sort of balance between the design goals of the Unico hot water coil and those of the radiators. Trial and error and come here with questions ...
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    FYI

If you can't remember what you posted, just click on your screen name and it will show you your previous posts.

Rob
This discussion has been closed.