Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need some spec's Weil Mc Burner 180

Options
Duff
Duff Member Posts: 61
I can't seem to find any tune up specs for the Weil Mclain #180 oil Burner. There were many problems on this job and most of them I've laid to rest, BUT that old burner is still not right.

Replaced the nozzel with the same one in place (1.10-60B ) Had smoke on start up. Air band were opened all the way, still smoken.Oil pump pressure was at 80 so increased it to 100,still smokey,120 getting better,140 PSI and I was able to get an air band adjustment for zero smoke.

Electrodes were worn so I replaced them with Beckett, burner is firing but it sure would be nice to know the proper oil pump setting as well as electrode specs. the oil pump is a Danfoss and when off pressure drops 10 psi from set point of 140 so I know that woun't be a problem. 

Equipment will be replaced next year as the boiler in place now is a Beast and only running at 76 1/2 % efficiency. Any help would be great,

thanking you guys in advance, Duff  

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    QB-180 Burner:

That was a very good burner but there were "issues" and W/M stopped making and supporting them.

I can tell you now that it is totally out of adjustment. You are so far off because of following others that know so much, they don't need to read the burner instruction/service manual. If it is in a WGO/SGO type W/M boiler, it should as a minimum be running at 84%.

The reason I know it is out to lunch is because there is no way that you can put Beckett Igniters in that burner. And it is very difficult to get new ones. Go to "Oil Tech Talk" and ask those guys about them and where to get parts. Most of us have a source or we replace them if we can. Its too bad because if there is nothing wrong with the boiler, other than the burner, you are throwing out the baby because of soiled bath water.
  • Terry O
    Terry O Member Posts: 67
    edited October 2012
    Options
    QB Manual

I have the QB manual if it helps.... tried adding as an attachment without luck....

Let me know I can email to you.
    Terry O
  • Duff
    Options
    thanks Ice

The boiler is 30 yrs old according to the Grandma.The boiler has no plate that can be read, other than the Weil Mc laine logo. My research tells me it might be #868 steam boiler converted for hot water 233,000 Net BTUs. My heat loss for the entire House show only 133MBH are needed. This will be it's last heat season.
  • Duff
    Options
    thanks Terry

I'm gonna have to take some pictures and post them for additional help. Just found out that the burner is not a QB180 from information provided to me by Alan for oil tech talk. Thanks for the help, I'll keep ya posted,

Duff
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    chances are

your burner is a Sunray. QB wasn't around 30 years ago, and wasn't used in boilers of that BTU range. It's possible it could also be a Carlin
  • Duff
    Options
    Thanks Bill

Possibly the burner was changed out since the original but the only thing I can make out is the WM logo on the front of the burner. I'm gonna take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Like they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words".
  • Duff
    Options
    Thanks again Icesalior

Finished that old WM burner today and Ice, you were right. Sometimes you have to get back to basics. Disconnected the oil line and kept setting the electrode gap and checking with a mirrior until the arc was right. Reconnected the oil and it started right up and keeps running. Sounds so simple and I was making it complcated. Thanks again,

Duff
  • icesailor
    Options
    QB-180:

If it is a QB-180 Weil McLain, it has an unusual way of getting at the electrode assembly. The transformer slides back on top of the burner before it swings away. The electrode assembly has only one porcelain and both wires go through it. That is what makes it hard. The high pressure line enters on top of the burner instead of the side. The nozzle assembly is short and cast brass, with the retention ring mounted on the end. It is really specific. If it is a Weil-McLain 868 burner, it probably came with a Wayne MSR of some other equally poor burner.

Allen at Oil Tech Talk has all of those burner specifications available. The way you have chosen to set the electrode spacings is really a hit or miss way. Maybe you got lucky. Luckier that I have ever been. You really need to figure out what burner it is and set it properly. And the nozzle is even more critical.

You need to post photos of it.
  • Duff
    Options
    OK Ice

I know now it's not the 180 cause Alan sent me specs for that burner and I was totally wrong.I have to go back to the job for another issue next week so I'll get some pictures and send them along. Thanks for your advice.

Duff
  • Duff
    Options
    OK Ice

I know now it's not the 180 cause Alan sent me specs for that burner and I was totally wrong.I have to go back to the job for another issue next week so I'll get some pictures and send them along. Thanks for your advice.

Duff
  • icesailor
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Wayne:

I think it is a Wayne because I think I remember that Weil-McLain used to put a sticker on the front of them. I don't think they ever did that with a Beckett.

If you are having a lot of trouble with it, you should change it. As a burner, they sucked and blew.

Check some of these out:

http://www.waynecombustion.com/document_listing.aspx?app=0&id=b5aabb11-ef14-44f5-a2cf-70d51b672a33&pn=downloads&returnurl=%2fdownloads.aspx%3fcurrentpage%3d0%26pagesize%3d20
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    replacement burner

It is a good burner, but wouldn't be my 1st choice as a retro. The electrodes can be had as part# 414 thru Sids. I buy them, all the time. They are more of a Riello than a Beckett design. Weil Mclain put there name on a few burners throughout time. This is one of them
  • Duff
    Options
    thanks Ice for the info

thanks again,you guys are amazing
  • Duff
    Options
    Thanks Bill

I'll send those pics next week,thank you
This discussion has been closed.