Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Making own buffer tank

Gordan
Gordan Member Posts: 891
I've got an old compression tank in good shape that I could scrap, or use to make a buffer. I was thinking that I would just insert black steel nipples into holes I drill into the tank with a hole saw, weld them on, and then contact-glue a polyolefin sheet around the whole deal. Any glaring reason why this is a terrible idea?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    for your own project?

I've built a number of homemade tanks and radiators. I'll remove the homemade components before i sell the place to to avoid potential problems with non listed pressure vessels, etc.

I've wrapped tanks in bubble wrap and also those water heater blankets that you can buy at the home centers. The underslab radiant foil and tarp products work well also.

Wrap the insulation before you screw fittings onto the nipples for a cleaner insulation look.

This is a LP tank that I modified for a solar DB tank. DHW from an external plate HX.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordan
    Yep, my own project

I like the tall-and-skinny form factor of the compression tank, and it's just the right size, too. A better fit than an electric water heater, to be sure. And cheaper to boot!

Therma-cel has a flexible polyolefin sheet product that looks like a perfect match for wrapping around the tank, too. I figure R4 (1" product) is plenty - since this is only warm during the heating season and my boiler is in conditioned space, I don't mind "losing" some heat to the interior, but neither do I want it to be on the order of 2000 BTU/hr (which is what my calculations tell me it would be at my design supply temp of 120 F.)

I'm planning to die in this place. When I do, they can take out my makeshift buffer and use it as an unlisted casket. ;-)
  • hot_rod
    edited October 2012
    DB tank

on top of that 160 gallon LP tank is a drainback tank. I bought a 20 gallon electric water heater, removed the bottom pan, drilled with a holesaw and welded a 1-1/4 nipple in. It screws onto the top of the 160 gallon tank with a couple pump flanges as the union.

This way the tank is insulated and jacket, has a back up element, and also had 3/4" side ports for the sight glass.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Gordan
    Sweet!

I presume you just used a regular arc welder with a mild steel electrode?
  • hot_rod
    6011 rod

I also install a 30 pound relief valve on these tanks.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.