Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how often to blow down boiler

Options
Tom S.
Tom S. Member Posts: 94
I think that is the right term....

An uncle has a house with a relatively new steam boiler, let's say 5 yrs old. It has an auto water fill. Unfortunately he has suffered a stroke and will be out of his house for months and it will be empty. We are turning the heat down to 55 or so, but obviously the boiler will be firing throughout the next months.

My question is how often should I ask someone (neighbor/house looker-after person) to blow down the boiler? Weekly? Biweekly? Less often? I'm talking about taking out a gallon or two of sludgy water and letting the autofill replace it.

Thanks,

Tom

(btw I do have a freeze/water-on-the-floor/loss-of-power alarm in place which will call me if any of those things go wrong).

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Blowing down the boiler

It is the float-type LWCO which is most important to be blown down (or flushed)., at least once a month. However, it would be better to valve off the auto-fill, and have the neighbor check the boiler every few days at first, and then weekly. You do not want a leak in the system to go on just being compensated by the auto-fill, and if it is valved off, then any loss of water can be seen and dealt with.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.