Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard Gas Boiler Sounds Like Jet

Options
Help. Can somebody give me guidance. My old American Standard gas powered boiler heating system (circulates water through radiators in each room) has worked great this month. But suddenly today, it started sounding like a jet engine taking off. I ran to the basement and couldn't determine what caused the roar.

I turned the thermostat as low as it would go, then the furnace turned off. Of course, the roaring stopped. I'm scared to turn it back on now. The 24-hour hearing service refuses to come out until tomorrow afternoon.

So my question, does anybody know what caused this? I'd like to be a little knowledgeable when the furnace man gets here.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    ready for take off

try switching it back on, and see if the noise continues. probably, your burner needs a good cleaning, and air adjustment. i suspect the flame is burning inside the burners rather than on their surface. if you can, i would get a real hydronic tech to attend to this, as the sunday plumber may not know what to do

if it continues, then i would not run it for fear of damaging the burners..--nbc
This discussion has been closed.