Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CBS news radio 880

Options
MikeL_2
MikeL_2 Member Posts: 489
Has anyone else heard the ad campaign, usually during the Yankees game broadcast, that advises homeowners to adjust their water heater thermostat to 115 degrees to save energy?

Comments

• bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    edited October 2012
    Options
    That's interesting

Who is running the ad?
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Wait til next year

No more Yankees until 2013
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • masterofnone
    masterofnone Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Sure did hear it

It caught my attention (more than the Yankees did) when I heard it also. It was a spokesperson for New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) promoting energy savings. I emailed the director of NYSERDA advertising yesterday 10/18 about the concerns of Legionella bacteria growth at 115*. No reply as of yet.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Newsday says same

Tom Incantalopa ,  or sumthin like that ....  he writes the same thing in Newsday (Long Island newspaper to non-residents of Isle Du Long/NYC area.). 
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Manufacturers

I think the water heater manufacturers need to take the lead on this. They should take control away from the morons.
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 489
    Options
    Legionella concerns

masterofnone:

Thanks for identifying the sponsor. I've been in contact with the program director @ 880,  and will pass on the sponsors information.................
  • masterofnone
    masterofnone Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Glad to help

We're up in central NY Finger Lakes Region where the radio ad aired on 1160 WPIE . I doubt they have much control over the feed during the game. It's unfortunate that the risky advice was/is being spread to so many listeners. Still haven't had any response from the email to the NYSERDA rep. I'm no authority on Legionella bacteria but learned more about the risks here at The Wall while installing our system with a domestic tank. Perhaps another Wallie in a higher profile position will pursue it further.
This discussion has been closed.