Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Igniter question

Options
LittleT
LittleT Member Posts: 6
I replaced my old allenson (big square) igniter with a smaller more efficient Beckett igniter. What are the benefits of doing this? any help would be great .

Thanks

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    you may want to

run the new ignitor interupted ignion if possible. Your old transformer would run intermittent (constant) ignition just fine, but the new electronic ignitors don't live a long life that way. 
  • LittleT
    LittleT Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Igniter question

ok thanks for the help
  • earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    Options
    There are a few benifits.

First, they are much lighter, but you know that already. They consume less electricity. And when they fail, they fail. Although this may not sound good, it really is. Cuts down on missing a bad transformer on a not automatic call. As already mentioned, you do not want to maintain the spark through the whole cycle.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
  • SchenleySeven
    SchenleySeven Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Interrupted setting

How does one determine if an ignitor (installed by the fuel company technician under a service contract to replace a failing transformer)) has been set to run interrupted?

He installed the ignitor on the Wayne burner on my Bock water heater. The original primary remains. I guess a 30 year old primary will only run constant spark?

Thanks.
    One pipe steam, Weil-McLain 380 , pipes mostly insulated, 32 radiators!

Bock 32E water heater, Bock M-SR burner with .75 80A nozzle.
This discussion has been closed.