Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Baseboard Heating Problem

FKLaneHS
FKLaneHS Member Posts: 8
I'm looking for a permanent solution to air/sloshing noise in baseboard heat. Don't want to rely on yearly power bleeding from the basement which helps but usually comes back before the end of heating season.Will an air scoop/auto bleeder over the boiler help? I installed auto bleeder on 2nd floor near baseboard but its not helping. System pressure is always good (15-18 lbs) Boiler and water heater is only 2yrs old but I had same problem before upgrade and conversion to gas fired boiler.

Comments

• MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Air getting in

All those things will help, but where is the air coming in?  Generally the air scoops and other air removal devices do their most work soon after the system is filled.  Air bleeders are good for the initila fill bleeding.  Is there a leak somewhere causing make up water to get into the system?  Is the Expansion tank in the proper location relative to the circulators?  If you bleed it and it is OK for a while and then you have air again, you have piping, valve packing, or other issues.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Noise of air:

Are you sure that the system is running at "15# to 18# of air? I only trust a special gauge that I have for checking.

Do you have an over sized, over pumping circulator with zone valves?

I've never,ever had a system I installed that had a problem with air like you describe nor have I ever seen one that didn't have a cause.

What temperature are you running the system as a high limit?

I crank all my float vents down tight. I don't even know if there are air vents on my Slant-Fin #15 baseboard. I can't remember ever draining it, and if I did, I purged it and that was that.

What size is your circulator?

What kind of boiler?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    possible causes

What type of home is this and is the basement on grade and if so is it heated.IF so check and see if your heat loops where not ran under the slab ,Again if so call a professinal and have them isolate and pressure test that loop you may have a small leak under the slab and your prv is feeding in make up water as that fresh incoming watre is heated the air contained in it ends up in the upper floors loops and creates air related promblem least of which is noise .I have ran into this and the HO was amazed that after about a 12 dozen mech had been there and stated they where crazy i listened to the HO and went to bleed it and saw bright orange water and knew there was i issue i isolated that zone and that was the end of the air issues .I would nose around and see if you have any loops that where ran under the slab it was a very common practice by plumbers years ago peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    pic

Post a pic of the install and let us look at it....Excessive make up water is bad...for your system....Isolate each zone and accomplish a hydrostatic test, no leaks are acceptable....Air can only really get in if there is room for it...
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    air

probably your circulator is over-sized and when starts, sucks air trough the air eliminator . Do you have properly sized and charged expansion tank near the circulator inlet?
This discussion has been closed.