Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

problem with heating coil

hi,okay so i was asked to do a job.air handler and heating coil are in attic.STEAM boiler in basement.i followed dans drawing in his book How Come.....refering to taking a zone of a steam boiler and pumping the water up 30'.i used a breonze b&g as suggested.my electrician wired my zone for me.he put in a single zone relay.when a call for heat comes from second floor boiler comes on as does pump.aquastat is set for 180 on boiler below water level.the ac installer then installed a strap on aquastat on return pipe coming of coil.coil is only heating second floor.thermostat has a manual setting and automatic setting.when set on manual system runs beautiful,hot air etc.problem is owner has to turn on when he wants heat which is a pain in the **** at 3am.when stat is put on auto unit doesnt fire up.im pumping 160 degree water up and strap on aquastat wont turn on blower.aquastat is set for 120.when i lower the aquastat to 90 it kicks on blower and i hear a lot of air in system.i bled system out and ran it again getting the same result.i then switched thermostat to manual and blower comes on pumping forced hot air with no air in system.unit is american standard.any ideas as to what is going on?????im about to get a small boiler and put it on a seperate zone which i wanted to do but there was problems with gas permits,thanks in advance

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    edited October 2012
    They make

A tstat that will bring on the fan with a call for heat that is if you have enough conductor at the stat.It sound like you dont have enough static pressure to fill that 30 feet of pipe and coil.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    T'stat

What brand and model? Manual and auto settings?
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    hot air

i didnt notice what make of thermostat it was.there is three settings on it.it goes from manual,off then auto.there is another switch for ac and heat.i am within the 30feet which should give me enough static pressure and have a 1hp b&g bronze pump on system.i finally got in contact with ac guy today.he told me he wired it that system must be on manual setting on thermostat.this makes fan run continuosly.fan never shuts of at all.when there is a call for heat pump comes on and you got hot ait.the settings off and auto on thermostat basically have the same function in that they turn the system off.thanks for your help
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    hot air

i didnt notice what make of thermostat it was.there is three settings on it.it goes from manual,off then auto.there is another switch for ac and heat.i am within the 30feet which should give me enough static pressure and have a 1hp b&g bronze pump on system.i finally got in contact with ac guy today.he told me he wired it that system must be on manual setting on thermostat.this makes fan run continuosly.fan never shuts of at all.when there is a call for heat pump comes on and you got hot ait.the settings off and auto on thermostat basically have the same function in that they turn the system off.thanks for your help
  • don_9
    The stat

With your stat and i am assuming here the stat should only energize the fan in the cooling mode.The auto/on at the stat is nothing more then a switch to make the fan run continues even if their is no call for heat or ac.

The aqua-stat that he installed on the return line coming out of the coil is what turn the blower on with a call for heat.If the fan not coming on in heat mode sparky has something not wired correctly.

May I suggest that sparky add a relay that has a normally open set of contact and a normally close set of contact.He will want to wire the aqua-stat to control the blower motor thu the normally close set of contact.That way if someone happen to put the fan to fan on at the stat while the heat is running you wont burn out the motor bc two speed of the motor is power at the same time.

Will you be checking temp rise at the steam coil to see what fan speed work best in heating mode? Also will you be checking total static pressure to see if your blower can still deliver correct cfm across that system in heat or ac mode now that you install a steam coil?

Low airflow can kill a ac compressor as well as not deliver enough btu in heat or ac mode.

• don_9
    edited October 2012
    edit bc of double post

This discussion has been closed.