Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

monoflo system piping

Options
jhansen
jhansen Member Posts: 59
I am replacing a column type radiator on the first floor with a Runtal type steel radiator. It is a monoflow system and I am concerned with the monoflo diverter tee overcoming the resistance of this new radiator. I recall following up a contractor who did this but up to the second story and there was no flow due to the resistance. Any help is appreciated. 

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Probably....

not the best move. More than likely you will not be happy w/ the results. It will look good but not put out much heat....if any.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Restriction:

The reason that many Mono-flow system add on's don't work is because of excessive restriction. Like running 1/2" to the unit. Especially to a second floor radiator. When, if 3/4" would have cut down on the resistance and it may have worked a whole lot better.

It is said. "The solution to pollution is dilution", it can be said that the enemy of piping resistance is a bigger diameter pipe. The greater the inside diameter of the pipe, the less surface area for the fluid to rub against.
  • jhansen
    jhansen Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Monoflo system

Thank you for your input. I will pipe that individual radiator back to the boiler directly as it is only ten feet away. Better safe than sorry. Again thank you for your response.

Joe
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Piping One Pipe Fittings:

I didn't say that what you were doing was wrong, I was just answering what you said about someone who piped to the second floor.

If you had a column radiator and you are trying to connect a panel radiator and it isn't too far away, and it was connected with mono-flows, give it a shot. If you are concerned, maybe you can pipe from the fittings if they are 1/2", pipe with 3/4" as far as you can and then go back. Or if you can connect 3/4" at the panel radiator, do that. It's the restriction you want to get away from. I don't think that there is all that much resistance in the panel radiator unless there's something unusual about it. The real problem is the different heating properties between the cast iron radiators and the steel panel radiators. No mater where you connect it, unless it has its own control, it will be a problem. Maybe.

If it doesn't work as you hope, you will know why. But I think it will probably work from what you said. The guy who did it on the second floor is another discussion.
This discussion has been closed.