Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

glycol & cpvc

Options
knebraker
knebraker Member Posts: 2
I have a chilled water system, piping done with cpvc schedule 40, have been draining every fall of the year. Question what are my options for frost protection ? glycerin, alphi-2 protector, other ??, Don' want to drain any more

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Thermal_overload
    Thermal_overload Member Posts: 2
    Options
    More than compatibility to contend with

I can not attest to the compatability with glycol ( either propylene or ethylene) with cpvc. I can warn you though that nothing comes without a cost. There is more to meets the eye when dealing with any kind of additive. First, you will change the specific heat and gravity of the cooling medium, so you have to factor for the addition heat load. Is your system sized to deal with the extra difference in heat rejection. Also by changing the density of the medium, it will also require more pumping power. You have to make sure your pump is sized properly to not overload. I hope this helps. There was not enough info in your post to get an idea of the size and type of equipment you are using.

Hlenn
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    glycol is out

of the question in PVC.

Glycerin, but it gets really thick when cold, we used that in CPVC fire sprinkler systems, it needed to be pumped with a gear pump in the winter it was so thick.

I see some of the potassium fluids that we used in polybutylene years ago are coming back. Potassium acetate and formate, sold under the name Dynalene are being marketed as antifreeze fluids for GEO loop tubing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.