Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What makes a boiler sound like a Moose?

KCA_2
KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
And it does...  Starts off slow but.....  I've got two boilers that are moaning like this..

Drives the owner crazy...  Me too!

Ideas?

:-)  Kca
:-) Ken

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Sound

Leak?

What kind of boiler?
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    moose noise??

Well I went and checked with my know it all son-in-law and he says it's only during mating season.

Now look, I don't what you guys are doing out there, but leave the damn moose alone!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    sounds like....

it is out of tune. Was it set up w/ a combustion tool? How old is the install? When was it cleaned last? Make and model of the unit?
  • KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    Make & Model

It's a Weil McLain CGI 7 P IN

Just cleaned

Draft -.1

CO 14PPM

CO2 5.5

O2 11.2

The moan isn't in the gas train...  I had to extend the vent & make a snorkle of sorts outside because the existing vent was about 12" from the ground here in Colorado...

Owner e-mailed me and said that when it comes on for 5 minutes the thing sounds like a moose..  Lol...

Kca
    :-) Ken
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Does it have....

Glycol / anti freeze in it?
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 347
    under fired

I guess it's on natural gas and those numbers indicate, under fired. The CO2 reading should be 8-9% and the O2 closer to 6% while keeping CO under 100 ppm and if it's LP, you're even more under fired. Increase the manifold pressure to get in that range. If you get much over 4.0 w.c. and still not in range, check your gas orifice size, they may not be high altitude. I'd be concerned about snorkeling up with exposed vent and possible freezing, it's certainly not pictured that way in the venting instructions.
This discussion has been closed.