Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any steam guys in Milwaukee?

Options
Nick S
Nick S Member Posts: 62
Hey guys, just curious if there are any residential steam guys in Milwaukee, WI. I have a customer with a steamer serving the second floor of his home. It works, but the wiring is a basket case, and the controls and piping do not look right to me. This is the first steam boiler I have come across in a residence, and I really don't know enough about it to mess with it. Thanks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    dairyland steamer

maybe someone will have a contact for you, but in the meantime, why not post some pictures of the boiler, and piping, with make, and model.

if anyfault in the piping sticks out, we will see it. symptoms would be useful as well.--nbc
  • Nick S
    Options
    Sorry no pics

Sorry, I never think to take pictures until I'm gone. The boiler is a newer Burnham natural gas unit. I say newer because it has a smart valve in it, but it is probably over 15 years old. The piping is copper off the top which I always heard is not right. The glass tube on the side is really nasty and you can't really see water in it, so I have to think the rest of the boiler is pretty fouled. While I was there, the owner started manually adding water because the water level was not visible in the site glass. By the time the water was visible, water was pouring out in to the burners! I have to assume that isn't right. My guess is there is a hole in the top of the heat exchanger, but I didn't know if there was a device to keep you from overfilling the boiler. If there is a hole, steam would be going up the chimney, right?
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    Darn! I wish I was down there!

I'm in Marquette,MI. I wish that I was in your area! Maybe you could post some pics in the near future. Is this one pipe or two pipe?
  • I'm probably the closest

and I serve Chicago metro.    Milwaukee would be about 2.25 hours one way from me.    It sure does sound like you have a hole in that boiler, though, and it will need replacement.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Nick S
    Options
    Important detail

Duh, I forgot to mention one important detail. The house was frozen at some point. The first floor was served by a hot water system that was replaced with a forced air system (not by me) due to cracked radiators and boiler. Apparently steam boilers don't like to freeze either. Thanks Guys.
This discussion has been closed.