Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

no wallboard behind baseboard heat

Options
johnjay
johnjay Member Posts: 1
I needed to replace a small area sheathing and siding due to water damage.  When I removed the sheathing there was not much insulation, which is not suprising for an early 60's house, but I could see the hot water baseboard heat.  It was mounted directly to the wall studs, no wall board.  Why is this?  To get an inch or two more floor space?  So with minimal insulation and no wallboard the heaters are exposed to really cold air. 

Would it be worth it to remove the baseboard heaters to insulate,air seal, and put on wallboard?  Then reinstall.  I have access to the pipes in the basment for the first floor but no access for the second floor.  It is a hot water monoflo system.

Thanks

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    i would

If it where my home i would insulate the uninsulated areas or call a insulation contractor to see if maybe doing blown insulation into those cavities would work if not i would stuff it with some fiberglass r 19 and then have the areas with no wall board sheetrocked and spackeled .This should definetly cut your heat lose from those areas which in turn should lower your fuel comsumpition and increase the total comfort to your home .Hope this helps peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.