Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace Steam Boiler

Options
Synonym
Synonym Member Posts: 4
I need to replace an old American Standard Steam Boiler which has 400,000 BTU.

One contractor wants to put in a Weil McLain LGB-4 with 400,000 BTU, another one aWeil McLain LGB-5 with 520,000 BTU.

Which way is better?

Thank you!

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Neither!!

Measure the connected radiation!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Synonym
    Options
    What does that mean?

What does that mean?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited October 2012
    Options
    EDR

Start by determining the EDR  of all the radiators in the home. There is no guesswork involved with boiler replacement, and you NEVER just put the same size in, unless it is the correct size. We can help you determine the proper size boiler, if you're up to the challenge. It's not hard. This should help http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/posts/12408/Boiler%20Sizing%20Chart.pdf
  • Paul48
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Can

you tell us a bit about the system? Why are you replacing it? Is it a 1 pipe or 2 pipe system? Does, or did the system work well before? If you are lucky enough, there are some steam guys that hang out here, that are the best around.Any contractor that thinks he can just drop a new boiler in, and not evaluate the whole system has done you  a dis-service.
  • Synonym
    Options
    Thanks!

I will look at the link in a little while:)
  • Synonym
    Options
    1 Pipe system

It is a 1 pipe system and worked well before.

I was told by a contractor that 400K BTU will replace the 450K becasue the new boilers are 81% efficient as compared to around 60% for the old one.
  • Paul48
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Did

He measure your radiators? If neither contractor went through the home and measured the radiators, use neither.Where are you located?
  • Sounds like you need to find a real steam contractor

If your American standard is a gas unit from the 60's or later, they test out in the upper 70's for efficiency.  Hot air furnaces ran in the 60's in the old days, most boilers were at least 72% or higher.

BTW,   I have installed 400,000 btu of capacity to heat about 10,000 sq ft of 1930's poorly insulated steam heated home.  That's alot of heat.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.