Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

black smoke

Options
Hi everyone...

We are short of funds this year to have the usual cleaning of the system done before the cold weather comes, but today, I turned on the boiler for a "testrun" and there was lots of dark smoke coming from the duct as the boiler started to do its thing. I don't know if this is normal of the system when not used in a few months, but without risking the smoke alarms going off in the whole place, I just turned the boiler off and figured I'd ask before I jump to other conclusions....ANy suggestions from anyone?

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I don't know if this is normal

When I had an old GE oil-fired boiler, it did that once at the start of the heating season. Smoke came out all the leaks in the vent, but none out the chimney. It immediately shut off. My smoke detector went off inside the house, even though the boiler was in the garage.

I did not bother to press the reset button, but called a chimney company to check the chimney. It turns out that over the summer, squirrels had build a plug four feet deep in there. They cleaned it out, inspected the chimney, pronounced it OK, and installed a stainless steel gizmo on the top to let the chimney work but to keep the squirrels out.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Funds

They'll have have to run short of funds elsewhere. That's a public building, and it is a matter of safety. It can't even be on the table for things to cut.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    smoky boiler

you could always ask the fire department if they think it is safe.

is it smoke, with a characteristic smell, or could it be dust, or a steam leak?

i can't remember the previous problems with your system-was there anything which indicated a leak in a fan-coil unit?--nbc
  • 156yroldCityHall
    156yroldCityHall Member Posts: 43
    Options
    smoke for sure

It is smoke with a smell...I keep running it in spirts to see if the smoke will gradualy get less and less...
  • 156yroldCityHall
    156yroldCityHall Member Posts: 43
    Options
    smoke for sure

It is smoke with a smell...I keep running it in spirts to see if the smoke will gradualy get less and less...
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Carbon Monoxide Detector

Do we have enough funds for that before someone gets sick or worse. Ask the town solicitor if he has funds for a lawsuit that can be set aside just in case..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Cost Cutters:

Yup, that cost cutter they hired to save them money, ( for BIG Buckaroo's) will have saved enough money to hire themselves a new administrative assistant.

And get rid of anyone that tells the emperor has no clothes. Or no heat.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options

Wasn't that a gas-fired boiler?
This discussion has been closed.