Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I just need an answer on boiler size

dkr
dkr Member Posts: 13
My installer is increasing my boiler size from a Burnham MPO-IQ115 to a MPO-IQ1147. Not necessarily for my house size. Does it hurt my efficency or cost me more money having a slightly bigger boiler than I need. Do you know anything about system 2000?

Comments

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    installer

Ask him for heat loss calculation and how he come up with boiler size. And start looking for another installer.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Yes to Both....

You did not have a heatloss done and based the boiler size on the water heater.... from your other post i would get another estimate from a different contractor.
  • dkr
    dkr Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2012
    I have one other estimate

I got five estimates the other i like the best  is a System 2000 but all the the other contractors lambasted it because it wasn't cast iron and problems with parts. Do you know anything about system 2000
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Boiler sizing

Unless you are in a commercial setting where the hot water is over 25% of the boiler demand, the boiler should be sized to the heat loss of the home. Hot water is sized by the amount of storage. In an average home a 40 - 45 gallon tank (storage or indirect) is plenty. If you have a Jacuzzi or similar then size storage at 2/3 the capacity of the tub. For a 1600 sq ft home an EK-1 with 40 gallon DHW storage tank is more than sufficient.

For more info on System 2000 visit their website at www.energykinetics.com.

Yes, I'm biased, I installed and serviced many EK's and have one in my own home.

What's wrong with good, domestic steel? GE and Bethlehem Dynatherm both used quality steel in their boilers. Average life expectancy over 40 years. Efficiency was close to today's better boilers, not because of the material used but because of boiler design and control strategy. BYW, commercial high pressure boilers are made of steel, not CI. Also, all steel boilers are pressure tested at twice listed max operating pressure and ASME inspected.

The only time there's a problem with parts is if the service company chooses not to get them. All burners, gas or oil, are standard. Aquastats, LWCO's, circulators are standard. The only components specific to EK are the system manager and digital temp sensor. The system has a default mode if either should fail, they are readily available from the mfr to anyone in the business and, contrary to what is generally expounded as the truth, a replacement manager will not break the bank. They are a stock item and readily available.

If you can't find answers to your questions from their website use the toll free number and call Customer Service.
This discussion has been closed.