Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostats

Sir_Richard
Sir_Richard Member Posts: 16
I know there have been several threads on which programmable thermostat is best for steam heat and I've looked at a lot of them but not sure "others" conditions are applicable.

The reason I'm looking for a new one is there is a bad connection in it some where. Occasionally the boiler won't come on and you give the thermostat a tap and don't breath on it and it works.

My house would be Energy Star compliant if I didn't have the steam heat. New windows, doors, spray foam insulation in all the walls and roof. Typically what happens now is when it hits the set low temperature of 66 it comes on and heats to 69. Usually over shoots to 70, not too bad in about 20 minutes. Because of how tight the house is I typically only lose about a degree an hour, Yes it won't fire back up for 3 hours. My girlfriend complains that it hovers at 67 for and hour lol.

Anyway under these conditions anything special I should look for? The once per hour cycle times and set backs seem irrelavent to me.

Richard

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I prefer

White Rogers
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    with that much envelope improvement

Outdoor reset would be quite nice to have.  Does anyone make a residential steam ODR controller?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Thermostat problems

The steam heating in your house would be energy-efficient if the system has been well maintained. The thermostat is one of the most important parts of the system, as it will watch over the household temperature, and run the boiler to maintain a set temperature.

If your thermostat is getting to the "tap on it" stage, maybe it's time for a new one, such as a honeywell visionpro, which can have a remote sensor in a cold part of the building.

Beyond the thermostat, there are other maintenance items to be considered, such as burner cleaning, pressure regulation, and boiler blowing down. Steam systems although not recognized as such are as economical as hot water systems, and more so than hot-air.--NBC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Thermostat

I installed a Honeywell  RTH6450D1009 a couple of years ago for my steam system and have been very happy with it. If I set it to a temperature it holds it within + / - one degree.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VIWQL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.