Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mixed hydronic and forced air controls suggestions

Options
Hello heating help,

I would like to extensively zone an existing mixed hydronic and gas forced air heating system which is servicing an 1840's historic home and new addition near Grand Rapids, Michigan.  The addition has one zone of low mass floor heat that requires surface temp limiting and stage 2 forced air/ac.  The 1st floor of the older part of the house would become one zone of forced air/ac.  The 2nd floor is basically unheated/cooled, but the bathroom has hydronic tile flooring.  I expect a future upgrade will bring radiators to each 2nd floor bedroom with some type of mini-split system providing cooling.  What control systems should I be researching?  The goal is to have a zoned system that prioritizes radiant heat where available and manages the other systems appropriately.  Ideally there would be individual temps in each zone, but some level of centralized user control --for example, perhaps the downstairs thermostat by the main entry could take control of the system for vacations, schedule changes, etc.  Currently, the hydronics are powered by a hot water tank / taco xpb-1 mixing block combo and distributed through a balanced manifold --the furnace is modulating.  I'm concerned about managing zones that have various combinations of hydronic and forced air heat, two water temperature upgradability, and the occupant user experience with the electronic interfaces.  Total heat load is under 84,000 btu. TekNet, iWorx, some other BACnet based system? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.  Thanks

Comments

This discussion has been closed.