Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recently installed replaced Steam heating system

nippy
nippy Member Posts: 2
During August this year my 35 year old Weil McLain developed a leak where I replaced it with a new Weil McLain. Everything was tested after it was installed. The only thing when I started it last week it built up a head of steam the water turned black in the sight glass,When I drained part of it, it smelled like oil. The sight glass is now black half way up  It looks like the water is clear

.Before I call back my plumber is the condition because it is new ? What can I do to keep the water clear ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Oil

The boiler needs to be skimmed and cleaned. Was it installed in black pipe or copper?
  • Charles Johnson
    Charles Johnson Member Posts: 24
    Skimming

What Jstar said.

A good skimming can take the better part of a day. It removes all the manufacturing oils and thread cutting oil which likes to float on the surface and inhibit the steaming action.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Installation requirements

If your installer had followed the installation instructions from Weil McClain, he would have skimmed the boiler following their precise directions from the manual. This several hour procedure should be included in the cost of installation. Draining and refilling will not get the oils out as they float on the surface, and just coat the inside of the boiler as it is drained. Therefore they can only be removed from the surface, by skimming. Adding magic powders like Squick is no substitute for this.

If this has not been done, then what else may have been left out?--NBC
  • nippy
    nippy Member Posts: 2
    Recently installed replaced Steam heating system

Black pipe was installed. I will have to call the plumber back. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.