Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PRV's and new boilers

I recall reading once upon a time that it was prudent to change the PRV any time you change a boiler. I don't recall why and was wondering if anyone had a good justification.

In a competitive industry where price matters highly to most customers, I recommend not to sell something if it is not necessary. Aside from keeping my costs down, I believe it's the right thing to do. In the course of establishing standard boiler changing procedures for one of my clients, we were looking at the PRV and wondering if it was a good way to keep the price down or if by not changing it we were setting ourselves up for problems down the road.

Looking forward to you thoughts,

Dave @ Inside Oil Consulting

<a href="http://www.insideoil.com/">www.insideoil.com</a>

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Parts

To me, it's part of the new boiler. If you don't change it, and it breaks, it's "your fault" in the eyes of the customer.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Fault

With some customers, if the lightbulb in the kitchen burns out the day after the installation, it's your fault. I'd replace it, and include the instructions in a document packet turned over to the customer. At least that way if it fails, you can show that you have tried to do right by the customer.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    System

David,good to meet you in Scranton,however briefly! You're not just changing a boiler,you're selling a new system made up of many,many parts. If any of these parts,no matter how small fail,it means a service call. If they have a contract,that's a free call and if they don't they won't be happy paying for parts and labor on their "new" boiler. If you buy a new car would use your old tires or radio or battery to save a couple bucks? Of course not,no one would even consider it!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    PRV's

In Massachusetts, we have to install a backflow preventor. Se we use Watts 9-11's.

That said, if the job depends on not installing a new 9-11, it probably isn't worth doing.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    pRv

Can you tell me what the R in pRv stands for ? Does it stand for reducing ,relief ,regulating

or what ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• InsideOilDave
    InsideOilDave Member Posts: 24
    pRv's and new boilers

Bob, the R stands for Reducing as in Pressure Reducing Valve. This component reduces the pressure of incoming water pressure (typically at or above 60psi) to heating system pressure (typically 12 - 18 psi) depending on height of the building.
  • InsideOilDave
    System

Hi Bob, Directionally, I agree, with performing a complete installation and minimizing the chance of failure of an system part by proactively replacing it. That not only protects the installer's reputation but also the comfort and convenience of the customer by reducing the probability of an unscheduled break down.

However, I'm interested in what is the right balance between a proactive replacement of a part, such as a PRV, and wasteful replacement of a part, which likely would have years of life left?

Specifically, with regard to the PRV, aside from common practice, is there any reason that increases the likelihood of near term failure of a PRV once the water has been shut off and the boiler has been disconnected during a boiler replacement that makes reusing the PRV a riskier proposition than if the boiler had never been changed. I kind of remember some technical reason behind the practice but I don't remember what it was.

Separately, if the PRV was shiny and looks like it was only two years old, should it be replaced? Are we really doing a service to the customer by replacing it? Would we replace it in our own homes?
  • InsideOilDave
    edited October 2012
    Fault

Agreed. There are customers out there seeking to blame others and we need to protect ourselves. There other ways of protecting ourselves like making it an add-on option for the customer.

But I don't like replacing something just to cover my butt.

I prefer it if there is a technical reason for a strong likelihood of failure if I don't replace it. I was wondering if there is such a reason behind the practice of changing the PRV. If I have confidence in the part, not changing it is an opportunity to beat the competition. If we do exactly what everyone else does, how do we stand out? I don't like to compete on price unless I have a cost advantage. Not changing the PRV could give the cost advantage - assuming it's not a risky proposition.
This discussion has been closed.