Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil to gas conversion

Options
njshell
njshell Member Posts: 1
We live in NJ in a brick facade ranch house  60 + years old., and we are in the process of  switching from oil to natural gas. The house is currently heated by a very inefficient oil boiler (same age as the house),  through a system of  cast iron radiators set inside the walls. There are 2 radiators in each room below a window except in the kitchen (where it is located along an inside wall) and each of the bathrooms (a full and ½ bath) where there is only 1 radiator. The system heats approximately 1800 square feet of living space. The house is currently only insulated in the attic, but we are considering insulating the walls in the near future. We heard a couple of proposals and there is one we are interested in that suggests using a Crown high efficiency boiler Bimini BWC 120, with an indirect water heater. However, the plumber has raised concerns that because the system would  be retrofitted to an old piping system, that there is a high likelihood small water leaks will develop over time and start eating away the aluminum inside of the boiler, and that this will either void the warranty on the boiler, or significantly reduce the life of the system.  As a result the plumber is instead suggesting that we use a standard efficiency boiler (Crown Aruba) with a regular storage tank Bradford White water heater.  The other proposal that we had for a high efficiency heater didn’t mention this potential issue so we would like to know if the concerns are valid and what would be the best alternative (standard vs. high efficiency) given the piping system that we have. We were excited about the possibility of going with a high efficiency boiler, but are now having second thoughts.  

We can post pictures if it would be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    My opinion.

Leaks are always a concern. The solution is to fix them! They will eat away at any boiler, high efficiency or not.

That boiler size sounds high for 1,800 square feet. Did anybody do a heat loss on the house?

I'm in NJ, too. I can offer another opinion/estimate if you're interested.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Funny

Your plumber has no clue...Suggest finding a qualified cintractor which the above post is.. Ask him about the Bimini Buddy, cause if he's feeding you the leak line cause of retrofit he needs to know it exisits.. Ask im abiut using a Hydro Separator, want know anything aout that either...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Criminal

I twould be a crime not to put in a high efficiency boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger. The new mod/ con boilers are ideally suited to high volume systems like your house. Any leaks would exist with either system, and have to be repaired. My  home is pushing 90 years old, and has no problems with leaks.So, with some luck, you could get another 30+ years. Any qualified contractor will do a Heat Loss of the structure, to perfectly match the boiler to the home. If it's not done, you pay for the incompetence.
This discussion has been closed.