Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Furnace

Options
Fritz2
Fritz2 Member Posts: 6
The boiler for the heating system (hot water- cast iron rads) in my old three story triplex is probably at least 40 years old. It seems to be running fine but  last year after a minor repair my maintenance guy said in future it would be difficult getting parts.  I am thinking of putting in a high efficiency unit and have got two quotes.

One contractor proposes a boiler he describes as NTI 150

The second contractor proposes a wall mounted Viessman Vitodens 100 model WBIB-35 which includes an "outdoor temperature sensor".

My questions are:

1. Would there be any reason to choose one of these boilers over the other?

2. Is the "outdoor temperature sensor" a good idea?

This is a rental building and is in Ottawa Canada. The second quote is about $800 less than the first.

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    Either

Which NTI did they quote you? I've put in a few and all the gas ones come with outdoor reset. The Viessman is a good boiler as well. For that little money difference between the two I would go with the contractor who gets better references from previous customers. The last thing you want with a rental is a hack install those boilers need to be installed correctly otherwise you'll be there all the time while they try to fix it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Outdoor reset

The outdoor reset will vary the temperature of the water in the system to suit the current temperature. A chilly day may need only warm water in the rads, but a very cold night in January will need hotter water.

As A-I-M says, the installer is the most important part of the replacement; however maybe your present boiler is not so close to the end of it's life. What parts were difficult to obtain?--NBC
  • Fritz2
    Fritz2 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    new furnace

Thanks for both your answers. Aaron, I was pleased to hear that the NTI (It's a model 150 is all I know) normally comes with a outdoor sensor. I'm going to check on that. I'm sure you are both right about checking out the references. I've seen pictures of some beautiful installations here on the wall so I have something to judge by.

Boy NBC I'd sure like to think the boiler could go for a while longer. I'd love to put off a $10,000 expense for a while yet! The part replaced was relatively minor I think. From the invoice it seems to say "174A 30 PSI Rebaul (?) Valve" - there was a drip leak of water coming from the old valve. Of course the fear is that the old boiler will go out some January - maybe I'll just pick my contractor now and then if he's still around I'll know who to call when the current model bites the dust.

Thanks again Fritz
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Relief valve?

I can't see that as a part which is particular to that boiler.--NBC
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Old Boiler

Can you post some pictures of your existing system and near boiler piping? That will help in assesing your system.

Rob
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Boilers

While NTI is made in Canada, I would prefer a Lochinvar of HTP condensing boiler. The expense of a condensing boiler is not worth it, if you don't consume much gas. You can get a mid efficiency Smith cast iron or Raypak in a P/S that will work very well with less cost and that includes the chimney liner. Usualy for residencial, we won't quote a condensing boiler because of the costs associated with them give no payback. We do between 200 and 300 install a year in the Montreal region. Send me a pm and I can give you some ideas for Ottawa.
This discussion has been closed.