Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Only one radiator working in home

Options
I have a 1 pipe steam radiator system.  All the radiators in the home work, but the bedroom one.  This is upstairs on the 2nd level.  I just moved into this home and have no idea what to do. 

I know this much so far..

On the radiator, there is an aluminum air valve on the side.  Whenever I thread it on, the radiator does not work.  If I unscrew the valve, it works.  I've checked the air valve to make sure it's open to full and can see the hole on the valve, open.

I purchased a new air valve yesterday to make sure my old one wasn't bad.  I got the same result... cold pipe/radiator.  As soon as I took off the air valve, it began to get warm/hot

I put my ear up to the open air hole (on the side of the radiator) and can feel very slight air pushing against my ear.  I can also hear movement way down inside, so I thought that was a good thing.

I've corrected the radiator so there is a slight downward (towards the supply line) pitch.

I've tried many air valves in this radiator to see if others work, but I get the same result.

I've drained the boiler twice (first time was really black/rusty water) it's cleaned up, now.

Please help!

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Radiator Problems

Hi-  Make sure the valve on the steam pipe coming in to the radiator is fully open. 

What is a name and model # of the old and new valve?  A picture of the radiator might be a help.  

Since you're new to steam you might want to get a book called "We Got Steam Heat!"  It's a great introduction to residential steam heating and is especially written for homeowners new to steam. Her's a link to the book:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Steam-Heating-Books/25/61/We-Got-Steam-Heat-A-Homeowners-Guide-to-Peaceful-Coexistence

- Rod
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    possibly a venting issue

What are the vents on the other radiators?  Are they all the same?  What kind of main vent(s) to you have?  Are they working?

It sounds like you could have venting issues that are causing the system to be imbalanced.  When some vents are too agressive, they will rob the steam from other points in the system.  Have a poor or nonworking main vent contributes to the problem too.

Can you post pictures of your radiators, vents, main vents, etc.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Firsttimeboileruser
    Options
    Still no heat.

All the vents in the home are the same.  They are all working.  I am thinking that I might replace the supply valve.  I remember it bubbling (with steam) once when I left the air valve off.  The knob on the supply valve is broken off, but still shuts on/off.  Might be the issue.

Valve is currently open/full.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    main vent problem?

Is the non working radiator the last one to come off the steam main? If so it indicates the venting on the steam main may need to be addressed. The air in the steam main should be expelled fast so that the steam can enter the individual radiator feeder pipes and arrive at all of them at about the same time. A poorly performing main air vent will starve the radiators that come off the end of the main of steam.

Do you know where the main air vent is on the steam main? Does it seem to be working?

What kind of air vents are on the radiators? There are many types and the ratings cover a wide range. If you don't know what kind they are post a picture and maybe somebody will know what it is and be able to advise you.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Bubbling rad

You can unscrew the bonnet of the valve and check whether the disk has become disattached from the spindle.

The bubbling could also be steam trying to get through a pool of water in a sagging area of pipe. Check that line with a level, and see if has it proper slope in that run.--NBC
  • Firsttimeboileruser
    Options
    Now it's working...

I put an older DOLE 80 air valve on it and it now works.   This valve has a larger air hole at the end.  The radiator now works.  Does anyone know why?

Are there different models that all more/less air based upon the air hole?

I should say that now the kitchen one does NOT work, now. 
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Vents.

Welcome to the world or Radiator Balancing. Change one, affect another. You should really asses every radiator and vent in the system. If you post measurements of each radiator and the approximate length and size of their supply pipes, we can tell you which vents bleong on every radiator
  • Firsttimeboileruser
    Options
    I'm starting to learn about steam heat.

I learned something new today about steam heat.  Credits to JSTAR...

You can't put any old air vent on a radiator!!  Each vent should have a specific vent based upon size of boiler, pump, how many rads. in home, size of rads., etc...

I went to several pumpling stores and they all gave me the same vent.  NOT one asked me about the size of my boiler, how many rads., and the sizes.  THIS ALL IS VERY IMPORTANT.  

My radiator now works because I have the proper vent on the radiator. 

You all helped me either directly or indirectly figure this very complex (to me) way of heating a home.  I never had steam heat as a kid, but I really DO LOVE IT!

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks to all!!
  • Firsttimeboileruser
    Options
    Props to QCA Too

Sounds like QCA was right as well.  It was a venting issue.  I will be getting back to him and attaching photos.

Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.