Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pres

Options
In one of the rooms of my house some previous owner decided to replace the radiator with a long section of pipe with fins. They removed the radiator valve, added about 5 elbows, and several feet of galvanized pipe, all with little to no pitch. All of this at the very end of the steam main (parallel flow single pipe steam system) Guess what, it does not work.

Now, I have procured myself a steam radiator. Its a nice basic 35 inch tall 11 section 5 tube. Probably a little too big for the room, nothing fancy, but considering I traded a 12 pack of beer for it, it sounds like it will be the perfect size to start with.

I want to to send the radiator out to be media blasted. Given that I know exactly 0 history or condition of this beastie, before I thrown down the cash (and throw out my back getting it there) to have it media blasted is it worth pressure testing it? If so how high should I go?

Its in fairly good condition physically, I managed to get the broken off air vent out, the spud may be another story, but I have read around the forums for the tricks, and being a rust belt shade tree mechanic, I have a few of my own.

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If it is....

Steam the most it will ever see is 2 pounds.... You could pressure wash it and then hit it w/ some Hammer paint. You will get some off gassing.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Just inspect it

If it had been leaking, it would look just about the way you'd think it would look if it had been leaking steam and rusty water for years.

Don't use ordinary spray paint on radiators. Read the can. Most of it says not to paint anything that will heat to more than 200°. Radiators run at 215°.

Save that vent! That's a Vent-Rite #1. One of the few decent adjustable vents. They run about $30-40.

Lastly, do you know where your main vents are? That fin-tube unit looks like the kind of thing people like to add on to a main vent fitting, stick a big vent on and call it good. Next person who replaces the vent replaces it with a radiator vent and you've lost your main venting. Make sure you've got adequate main vents before you add that radiator to the system. You might need to do a little plumbing to do it right. If you're not sure, post more pictures. We've got some sharp people here.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Toymotorhead
    Toymotorhead Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you.

Main venting should not be an issue, once I get a Gorton #1 and #2 ordered and installed.

Looking at all the piping in the basement. This radiator has been messed with multiple times. As far as I can tell, it was originally on one wall, then judging by the unions and galvanized pipe and the patched holes in the hardwood floor, and the dents from where a radiator stood at the second location, it was moved to the other end of the the same wall. Increasing the horizontal run of the riser about 10 feet. Then at some point someone switched it out again to the finned tube ugly. To do that they increased the horizontal run another few feet. This time above the floor, all in a mix of galvanized and black iron.

So my plan is to go undo all the 'improvements' from the previous contractors. And reinstall it where it originally was. I know I can get steam there. There is a take off for another radiator next to where this one comes off. And on a cold day the steam does make it up to where the old work stops and the new junk begins. I have pulled off the vent on the finned pipe and tried to blow air down it. I am pretty sure that the pipe has a clog somewhere, or the horizontal run with little or no pitch is the problem.

As for paint. I am probably going to try Duplicolor Engine Enamel. They have a 500 degree temperature rating, and they have a color called Aluminum, which has been wife approved for the room it is going into.

Thanks for the help

Richard.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.