Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problems with 1/2 inch L pipe

Options
Ron Jr._3
Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
Had these same issues a few years ago . Pipe is too big for the fittings . Don't want to mention the brand . Wondering if anyone else is having trouble like us ? It's to the point where I'm messing up my wrists and shoulder trying to jam this pipe into the fittings . 

Comments

• R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Options
    Did A

half inch ball valve today no problems. Seems to be working with propress fittings also without problems.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I have had....

issues here and there w/ 3/4" .... Is it your cutter wheel? Did you try reaming the fitting?
  • Ron Jr._3
    Options
    Ron

where are you getting your pipe ? Can you email me what brand ?

Kevin , it's definitely the pipe . We use different cutters and I have 6 in my toolbox alone . I have months old 1/2 inch L in the bottom of my pipe rack and don't want to use it because it's discolored . But since this is an ongoing problem I pulled some out and it

slides right into fittings like normal .
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Other than being a PITA to get in the fitting...

Even if you get it in, would it allow adequate solder penetration?

Also, is it too big all around, or did it perchance get ovalized?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Fat pipe, skinny fittings:

I've seen it for years. It's in the tolerances of the pipe and fittings. I usually overcome it by always carrying a flat mill file and file the cutter burr off the end of the tube. The tightness of the fitting doesn't bother me because the solder will always flow if both the pipe and fitting are fluxed. And I always squeeze my fittings so they don't fall off of slip back when I don't see them. And I don't want to change orientation when I wipe off the paste and solder. But if I can't slide the fitting on all the way, I will do what I have to to get it on. Ir try some other pipe or fittings. Sometimes it's the fittings, sometimes, it's the tube.

My experience.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Options
    Yep , plenty of solder penetration

Actually the only added benefit is using less solder per joint . No problems with leaks so far .

Ice , we've had problems with fittings being too small also . But this is definitely the pipe . Had problems with every size we work with at one time or another . But the 1/2 inch L is ongoing . And when you're connecting 20 1/2 inch fittings a day and every one of them is a fight .............   you tend to give serious thought to using pex .
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Quality Control:

I'd like to say it is cheap Chinese quality control but it is probably american made.

Quality  control is expensive.
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm surprised the tolerances are as good as they are

I looked into how copper tubing is made

http://www.copper.org/publications/newsletters/innovations/how/howdo_tube.html

and I'm surprised the tolerances are as good as they are... seems like the OD would tend to be larger as the extruding dies wear out.

Be curious to know how much copper tubing is being produced now, compared to just before PEX came in strong - not to mention a less than vigorous construction economy. Might wonder if the foundries are stretching maintenance intervals?

Vbob
This discussion has been closed.