Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help with my superstor contender

Options
I just moved into a house with a Superstor Contender indirect tank with a Smith cast iron boiler. The system was installed in 2010. My problem is that the boiler is firing every single time I use the hot water and the water coming out of the faucets is way too hot. The aquastat on the tank is set to 120 degrees but i measured the water temp at the faucets at 135-140 degrees. I experimented with turning it down as low as possible (90 degrees). The water at the faucets dropped down to ~120 degrees but the boiler still fired every time I used the hot water.

My best guess for what is happening is that the temperature of the water in the tank is being measured at the bottom. Every time hot water is used, new cold water enters the tank, swirls by the sensor, and sends a signal to kick on the boiler even though there is plenty of hot water higher in the tank. Is there another explanation? Has anyone else had issues like this with the Superstor Contender? Is this a design issue or was this an installation error?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I would

first, have an anti-scald mixer installed, and pack all around that thermostat with insulation, and put the cover back on. Those surface mount aquastats suck. Plain and simple. Turn it down as low as it will go. 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I would indeed....

insulate around that well as best you can. I have had a problem once or twice w/ that bi-metal aquastat.... it can be replaced.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Contending:

Something is not right. First of all, you should have a quality thermostatic mixer with checks.

And, the boiler shouldn't start every time you run the hot water. Is that "Contender" an indirect and if it is, would the 3/4" copper going into and out of the tank the coil sides and connected to the Potable Water side? The hot water should be coming off the top of the tank and the cold should be on the bottom of the tank with some separation between the two.

Those single pole water heater switches are not stellar controls. Try another one. They are cheap.

Install a mixer and sens more pictures of the piping of the water heater.
This discussion has been closed.