Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old boiler question

Options
gravity
gravity Member Posts: 1
So very confused about what to do with my heat.

We have an original gravity system. The expansion tank with the glass sight still in the attic. Got a roughly 40 year plus weil-mclain boiler. no pump, its the kind that can generate it's own power. I have had two contractors just walk away because it was too old or complicated. One gentlemen said I should not do boiler and repipe system. Sears gave a price to replace boiler with a high efficiency one for a steep price and I'm not sure the salesman was aware it was gravity. Had an old timer in today who said he would repipe as well but was willing to do the boiler with either a regular boiler and keep it gravity or see if he could do a HE with some limited repiping around the boiler.

The house hold repiping would be 2-3x as much as the boiler. Can't really afford right now.

Thoughts?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler

Where are you located?

You don't have to repipe the entire system, just the main parts around the boiler. A high efficiency boiler thrives on cold return temperatures and would be a wonderful boiler to retrofit into an old gravity system.
This discussion has been closed.