Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smaller orifices?

Roland_18
Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
I couldn't help but notice that the I/O manual for my boiler lists smaller orifices on the parts page.

What would be the downside of downfiring ,say, 20% ?

I ask because the boiler is too big for my calculated heat loss. It was installed 7 years ago so I'm not in a hurry to change it out.

Thanks!

Comments

• VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    Orifices

Most burners are de-rated (reduced to lower capacity) when they are installed in high altitude locations due to the lesser amount of oxygen present in the thinner air.  A simple way to do this is switching to smaller orifices.

If you de-rate a burner when you are not at altitude, the amount of excessive secondary air that will flow through the appliance will reduce the efficiency a fair bit. 

There's lots to consider when you start making changes or adjustments to boiler like: the effect a change have on the heating of the heat exchanger, combustion efficiency, stack temperature drop, etc.  All these things can shorten the appliances life, decrease the energy efficiency and possibly increase the amount of Carbon Monoxide present in the exhaust.  So your best bet would be to hire a knowledgeable tech with  the right tools. (like a combustion analyzer)  
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.