Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HE Stainless Steel vs Cast iron Boiler

Options
Bio
Bio Member Posts: 278
Which of the two would last longer?, whats their life expectancy given that they are properly maintain

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Here's

a 80+ year old CI gravity HW boiler still working but is it really doing anybody any favor? To answer your question,IMO CI will outlive SS but if SS lasts long enough to return the incremental cost difference,who cares?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Options
    Who cares??

The paying customer, who else. the ones that keep you in business, it was just a simple question and I was only looking for comparisons for a friend, you know pros/cons, who cares....
  • Besides the heat exchanger..

there's a few other things to consider.  I agree, cast iron will likely last at least 50% longer than SS. 

Also, to consider:

How much does it cost to maintain?

How often is the boiler going to need repairs?

When repairs are needed, will the parts likely be on hand?

How long will parts be available?

How much electricity does the SS heat exchanger boiler use versus the CI?

When you begin to consider all these other parasitic costs, a "high efficiency" boiler is not so efficient and will probably have much higher average operating costs than you might expect. 

My current high efficiency boiler running with a 50,000 btu/hr peak load uses about $30.00 of electricity a month and this boiler only requires a single pump.  My CI sectional boiler in another home with a similar heat loss is using  a whole lot less.  The whole home's elec bill is only about $35.00/month.  Both systems are using little 85 watt pumps, but the High efficiency boiler has a draft fan, condensate pump and lots of electronics that draw a bunch more power.

Energy Professionals have been trying to get electrical usage taken into account in government efficiency ratings since at least the early 90's  and have been unsuccessful.  Probably the main reason is the influence of the forced air  industry.  If electrical use is added to the efficiency equation, the efficiency rating of your typical 92% furnaces would drop about 7%.   Hot water boilers a point or two for CI, more for 90%+ models, and typical residential gas steam boilers would be virtually unaffected.
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Electrical consumption

A 95 watt pump running 24/7 uses 69 Kwh per month or $10.64 at the average Chicago rate of 15.3c per Kwh.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.