Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A split Loop Question specifically the Tee at circulater

Options
Mario
Mario Member Posts: 5
Greetings: I have a Hydronics question,specific to a split loop piping.I have a "3" zone setup. "3" circulaters on the return with "3" flow-checks on the supply side.

Zone "1" indirect water heater.      Zone"2" series loop. 

Zone "3" single supply split return.  supply splits in basement center of house,   enters The "RUN" side of a Tee, other side of the "RUN" side of the Tee feeds base boards of "2" front rooms  goes back to boiler room and drops into the "Run" side of  Tee above the circulater.  the rear half of the house is fed from the "BULL" side ot the supply Tee Also Feeds Baseboards of "2" rear rooms goes back to boiler room and enters the "BULL" side of the Tee above the circulater.

The heat works Ok  but  is the return piped correctly ??  I know that....Fluid in a supply side of a Hydronic system "SHALL-NOT" enter the Branch side of a "TEE" Which it is not.   Should I repipe the return "TEE" so that The "BRANCH" side drops into the Circulater and the "2" returns enter the "RUN" sides of the "TEE" and install "2" Taco balancing valves  1 for each half of the house on the return lines.

Or ???  Do I leave the "RETURN" Tee as is "RUN" side drops into circulater  1/2 of house drops into "BULL" side, other Half drops into "RUN" side....  and install The balancing valves on the return lines to balance the heat as best as possible. I don't mind doing any extra work. Thanks for all technical advise. Can't find any info on Tees and Fluid "RETURNING" in a Hydronic system.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If it ain't:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It is my experience, you can screw up a hydronic piping system really badly and it still works. If it is working, in a perfect world, maybe you could make it better. But, probably not.

Way back when (before I started doing this) I used to see Wye fittings on heating supplies and returns. I don't think you can buy pressure wyes anymore. If you can, they are VERY expensive. And a "tee" will work equally well. Sooner or later, you need a tee.

The only time I see when the outlet ("Bull") and run of a tee matter is in closely spaced tees on a primary/secondary take off. And it is very important that you keep the tee away from an ell on the primary loop.

"Progress not perfection" is a favorite saying I picked up long ago.
  • Mario
    Mario Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Split Loop Return piping

It is my intent to install   "2" Taco Balancing valves "1" on each return before "TEE" above the Circulater to balance the system as best as possible.

Should the Tee above the return side circulater feed the circulater from the "BULL" side of the Tee with the "2" returns each entering the "RUN" sides??  OR

Should the "TEE" remain  " as is"  feeding circulater from  the "RUN" side with "1" return entering on the "BULL" side of the "TEE"  and the other return entering the top facing  "RUN" side of the "TEE"
This discussion has been closed.