Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Newbie Venting Question.

Options
I have a parallel flow steam setup in my house, with returns that only drop when they get back to the boiler. I have two loops, one with 55 feet of 2 ½ pipe on the mains , which then drops a few inches via a pair of reducing elbows down to a 1 inch, and has about 10 more feet of 1 inch piping before it turns and drops back to the boiler. This loop drives 7 radiators in the main part of the house.

The  second loop which is 45 feet of 1 inch pipe out, and then drops into a 45 foot return in ¾ pipe. This second loop only drives one small radiator on a riser in the upstairs bathroom.

Both loops have a tee with a 3/4 NPT tap about a foot before it drops vertically to back down to the boiler. When I bought this house both of those vents were completely blocked, and were replaced with home depots finest ‘main line vents’ which through some reading around here, and some thinking while staring at my boiler are almost worthless.

So the question is what would you guys recommend to replace those main line vents given the size of the runs. If I am understanding things correctly anything venting wise would be an improvement. The larger main takes a long time to heat.

I am thinking to start with a Gorton no.2 on the big run and a Gorton no.1 on the smaller one? The current system works, but I know it is a system that could work a lot better then it does with a little tinkering.

Thanks

Richard.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.