Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Losing Boiler Water Pressure Gradually over 1 Month

Jake48
Jake48 Member Posts: 28
I have a Veismann 100 natural gas boiler.  It is supposed to be about 14 PSI water feed pressure.  However over a 1 month period it drifts down to 10 PSI.  I open the valve on top of the pressure regulator and let water in and get it up to about 17 PSI but then over 1-2 months it will gradually drift back to 10 PSI.  I have adjusted the regulator valve by tightening clockwise but it doesn't seem to have any effect at all.  My understanding is when the pressure regulator valve fails, it fails high and not low.  I have no aparent leaks and the system seems to be operating fine other than the gradual loss of pressure.  Any ideas to fix this?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited September 2012
    Supply

duplicate.....deleted
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Supply

If the supply to the auto-fill/regulator is closed, it won't maintain pressure. You stated that you opened the valve to bring the pressure back up, so obviously you're running with it closed.There have been some very long threads on this site, arguing for and against leaving the valve open.
  • Jake48

Hang on, after I turned the regulator clockwise their was delayed reaction and the pressure increased to 17 PSI.  So the regulator is working and needed to be adjusted.  Now I have to lower it to get back to 14 PSI.  With the delayed reaction I just lowered it a couple of turns and will have to wait to see where it stabilizes at.
  • Jake48

Hang on, after I turned the regulator clockwise their was delayed reaction and the pressure increased to 17 PSI.  So the regulator is working and needed to be adjusted.  Now I have to lower it to get back to 14 PSI.  With the delayed reaction I just lowered it a couple of turns and will have to wait to see where it stabilizes at.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    the water has to be going somewhere

I suspect you have a very slow leak.  If it were in the boiler HX you might never see a drip, or it could be inside a wall somewhere.

How long has this been going on?  If it's just a month or two, it's possible there's air in the system that is slowly being purged.
  • Jake48

The problem has been going on 4-5 months.  What does that mean

Pressure has increased to 18 PSI the past 2 hours so I had to adjust the regulator down again.  It is a pain in the next to adjust to get it just right with this delayed effect.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Time to isolate and test

Are you heating now?  Do you have an indirect DHW heater?

Pictures and/or drawings of your near boiler piping will be helpful.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    My two cents

I don't mean to oversimplify,but with such a tiny symptom,maybe it's just the gauge. For 10 bucks you can get a new gauge and connect to a boiler drain. Then confirm your old gauge.

Those numbers you're talking about are pretty close together.

Those boiler gauges are wrong plenty of the time INHO
This discussion has been closed.