Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing valves on old pipes

Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
Recently purchased 4 Mepco orificing valves to replace on rads.  Was thinking of doing it myself, though piping is old and some valves have several  layers of paint.  Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Comments

• More than one can chew

How about some pictures of the situation to enable everyone to be of more help. Any change of radiator valves will entail the replacement of the valve spud, if it is a steam radiator, and that can be a hard job!

What sort of system is this?--nbc
  • Fizz
    Richardson System(vapor/vac) valves

Thanks NBC, you answered my question.  Will enlist services of pro, though we don't have steam guy knowlegeble in old systems.
  • Valve problems

Whats wrong with the old ones? Maybe there is a workaround.--NBC
  • Fizz
    valves

Actually have mixed system, 11 original rads are Richardson system, however, one of the valves on original 11 was replaced with valve that takes several turns to open and hisses; three rads with traditional traps were added in late 20's and 2 have graduated Trane valves with round handle, and pointer, with graded disc showing Trane, Off, 2 gradation lines, the # 30, 2 more graduated lines, then On.  The 3rd rad has round handle, no markings, opens in less than 1 turn.  One of the Trane valves hisses when opened 3/4.  My plan is to replace the 3 non-Rich rads with Mepco A/O valves, and replace traps with either Hoffman 17C, or Sterlco 750A's, and replace the altered Richmond rads with Mepco valve.
  • Fizz
    valves

Actually have mixed system, 11 original rads are Richardson system, however, one of the valves on original 11 was replaced with valve that takes several turns to open and hisses; three rads with traditional traps were added in late 20's and 2 have graduated Trane valves with round handle, and pointer, with graded disc showing Trane, Off, 2 gradation lines, the # 30, 2 more graduated lines, then On.  The 3rd rad has round handle, no markings, opens in less than 1 turn.  One of the Trane valves hisses when opened 3/4.  My plan is to replace the 3 non-Rich rads with Mepco A/O valves, and replace traps with either Hoffman 17C, or Sterlco 750A's, and replace the altered Richmond rads with Mepco valve.
  • Hissing

When I hear about hissing, I think the pressure could be too high. Have you got a low-pressure gauge, so you can get the pressure way down?--NBC
  • Fizz
    Hissing

Yes, agree.  Just added vaporstat and have it set at 12 oz cut out and differential of 8oz.  Haven't tested it yet.
This discussion has been closed.