Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does a radiator leaking steam make a room warmer and more humid?

First, thanks so much for helping! I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and I'm amazed at what a great community this is.

I want my living room to be warm and humid. My old 100 year old radiator is leaking steam through its air vent. Should I repair it? Is it making my room less or more warm and humid?

I know - crazy question! But I'd love any thoughts on this. Thanks in advance for your help!

Katie from the Bay Area

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Fix

Fix the leaky radiator, and put a kettle of water on top of the radiator with lemon peels or any other spices you might like.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited September 2012
    Leaking air vent

Follow Paul's advice, except that i just put plain water in our brass bowls, fearing a lot of slime developing from any added organics.

Steam leaks cause excessive water to be introduced into the system, shortening the life of the boiler, and wasting gas. You may find that the air vent when replaced continues to leak steam, and in that case the pressure is too high in the system, causing more gas to be burnt.--give us the make of the vent, (or a picture), and we can tell you how to change it yourself.

Extra humidity will help the room feel more comfortable. The excessive pressure condition can cause even more dryness in the area. The only crazy questions are those not asked!--nbc
  • KatieBayArea
    KatieBayArea Member Posts: 2
    Warm?

Thanks Paul for the speedy response! Do you know if the room will be warmer or colder? Because I would love for the room to be warmer and the costs of the extra water being heated up doesn't bother me.

Thanks Paul!
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Katie

We can help you get everything working right, and you may find you are much more comfortable. Pictures help a lot, even when taken with the cheapest digital camera.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Maybe but at what cost

That leaky vent is an expensive way to get more heat and humidity into that room. If you tell us what problems you are having with the system, we can tell you how to get the system operating the way it is supposed to.

Are some rooms too cold while others are too warm?

Do the radiators heat up at about the same time?

Any banging in the piping or radiators?

Pictures of the boiler, the piping around it, and this radiator (from both ends) will help us understand how your system is supposed to work.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2012
    Humidifier

Hi Katie - As others have said you need a properly operating vent on you radiator. Let us know a little more about you steam system and we can then better advise you. Do you live in an apartment or is this your house?  This is important to know as being in an apartment you only have very limited over all control of the steam system. Since this is a one pipe steam system ( only one pipe going to each radiator) it is very important that the valve (tap) on the intake pipe is fully open as otherwise the radiator won't operate properly.

(see attached drawing)

Since you are concerned about humidity, I've also attached a source for a steam radiator humidifier. As others have said, a pot of water on top of the radiator also works well.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.