Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One Pipe System Brainstorming

Options
Any contractors out there in Essex County, NJ? I own a 100-year old home with a combo gravity/hot air & radiator steam system with both convectors and radiators. Works pretty well but has a few issues.

I'd like to find someone who really knows his stuff. Many local guys in my area dont seem quite up to snuff with the really old stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited September 2012
    Options
    A few issues

While you are looking for the right steam man, why not describes the system and it's problems more exactly? A picture of the boiler and piping would be very useful.

If you had some of the steam books from the shop here, you would be able to diagnose, and sometimes repair problems yourself; or at least explain them more completely to the pro.

Most one-pipe systems seem to have problems with main venting, and high pressure. Your thermostat may also be incorrectly chosen/located/setup for steam. Has it had any service on an annual basis?

Combining radiators and convectors in the same system can cause some problems, as each will behave in a different way with steam. The convectors may not have the same thermal mass as radiators, and will cool down more quickly.--NBC
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    NJ

Check out my info and give me a call. We service all of NJ.
This discussion has been closed.