Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai Boiler, Taco 6 zone relay, Indirect

Hi, I'm new on here and an electrician.

I just wired a Rinnai Q series with a super store tank.

There are 5 system zones and 1 for indirect which is on priority zone 6.

I have XX going to 22 and 23(room t-stat) on the boiler, and gave it 120v.

No outside sensor.

The plumber is saying that it takes way to long for the dhw to satisfy.

He did not install the 3 way valve.

Is there a way that I can bring the dhw circulator wire and aquastat wires into the boiler and get this thing working properly, or does he need to definitely install the 3 way valve?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    By The Book

You wire it exactly as the manufacturer specifies.If there's a problem, you can verify functions electrically, but you can't vary from manufacturers specs.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Valve

He needs to install the three way valve.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Hold on for the hot water:

Hold on here.

First, check to see the BTU input rating of the boiler. Then, look on the SuperStor spec sheets and see what that boiler and SuperStor combo will give you. There are a small number of installers who might think that a 60,000 input heater will fill a 60 gallon indirect in 10 minutes at a 100 degree rise. A three way valve may help. But it is only trying to solve a problem that can only be solved by a bigger heater.

You need a lot of "nuts" to heat potable, domestic hot water. Far more than in a small building with a varying load.

Don't let the installer put the blame on you for a problem that may not be your fault. There may be electrical issues, but I see more mechanical problems when I am confronted with these lack of hot water problems.

You've heard the one about trying to get 10# of horse poop into a 5# bag? Trying to heat water with an undersized heat source is like trying to fill a 10# bag with 5# of horse poop.

IMO, but considered by some to be old and outdated. A salesman told them so.
  • Stringbean
    Stringbean Member Posts: 2

He's not blaming me. He's a good guy and pretty smart as well. We do a ton of Navien's and set them up the same way as this one.

Like on a Munchkin, when DHW goes on priority, the temp will shoot right up to 180*. This one doesn't.

The rep said he needs the 3 way valve and that the boiler circulator will then act as the DHW circulator.

I don't see why you can't use your own HW circulator.

On the boiler, there is an output for 120v external pump, but I don't know what that is for.

Didn't know if I could bring the aqaustat into the boiler and then use that output to run the pump?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    model

Which model "Q" series?
This discussion has been closed.