Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Third floor heating?

We are in the process of updating our 3rd floor that has not been used in decades...(5floors including basement and attic). 1860s house....

We do have 2vents upstairs however not that much heat makes it up there... (forced air furnace located in basement), in the winter it is about 53 up there whereas the 1st and second are at 65 and 63 respectively.

We are looking into baseboard type heat, something that we can have a line ran for and will make the third floor into a comfy office (13*12), family room(11*20), workout

room(9*13) and full bath. I have seen regular baseboards, hydronics and wall units. We would like something efficient and safe without breaking the bank. Also, what size(s) should we buy?

Is hydronics something we should consider, is there anything out there....suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

Btw, we live in upstate ny and have blown in insulation.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Heat

Air is lazy, but you can move water anywhere. I'd vote to try for a hot water system.

I'm in NJ, but I'd be willing to make a trip into upstate NY if you have trouble finding a reliable local contractor.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    3rd fl workout room

I doubt that was considered, or built for in 1860. I wouldn't put a treadmill upstairs in my 1925 home. Just a thought.
This discussion has been closed.