Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C ducts put into working indirect radiator bays

mchema
mchema Member Posts: 37
I am looking to purchase a 4600 square foot home built in 1901. It has a

new hot water boiler and two a/c units (one for the second floor and

one for the first). The first floor of the home is heated by indirect

radiators in the floor. Upon further inspection I noticed that the air

duct for the ac were cut into those bays. How can that work? The grates

are so large wouldn't the cool are just fall back down to the basement?

These rooms are so large I don't know how the first floor would be

properly cool. I also could not find vents in the 2 large stair cases,

middle music room or kitchen. let alone a proper cold air return.

Basically I want to know can a house be properly cooled in this method.  Should AC ducts be sharing indirect bays???

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    A/C

I bet it saved a lot of time and money to do it that way. Sadly, it may just be a complete waste of the A/C. Most indirect heaters have a outdoor air source, or if not, an open duct in the basement. Personally, I don't like to condition the air outside of my house. 
  • Strange a/c ducts

Is there a local hydronics pro you could have look at this, as it does seem a very unusual installation to say the least. If they did that, then what about the rest of the system (hot-water)? Where are you?--NBC
  • mchema
    mchema Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2012
    Ohio

The house is in south central ohio. I thought it was so very strange. Our current house has single pipe heat. I have educated myself on old heating systems as a hobby over the years since you generally have to fix things yourself when it comes to these systems. There is a knowledgeable heating/cooling contractor in the town. we have worked with him when trying to buy another historic home. I need to run it by my boiler guy as well. He has been a life saver with our current system.

I was just making sure I wasn't crazy because the relator looked at me like I was the crazy one for questioning the set up. Funny thing working with this person over the last two years I have taught her a thing or two about the heating systems in many of the homes we have looked at. 

I swear I should become a relator for historic homes. I know more about the heating, structure, material, etc. It baffles me to no end how people try to gloss over such huge glaring problems.

The heating is hot water. Newer direct vent boiler. Don't have a lot of details. The house was overwhelming grand . Need to venture back in with some contractors.
  • Send us a picture of the house!

All here love old houses, and would love to see any pictures you may have!--NBC
This discussion has been closed.